When it comes to fastening two materials together, there is hardly any other fasteners that offer similar benefits and versatility as self-tapping metal stud screws. These revolutionary fastening materials have been steadily gaining popularity and wide usage among contractors, DIY builders, and other individuals who need an extraordinary fastening supply. They come in two types: the thread-cutting screws and the thread-forming screws.
The first type of self-tapping screws is ideal for metal and wood since it removes materials as the screws are inserted. This lowers the risk of negatively affecting the structural strength of the materials being drilled. The thread-forming screws, meanwhile, deforms the material being screwed without removing it. These screws are recommended for use in plastics.
From the name itself, self-tapping screws essentially drill their holes as they are being driven into metal, wood, or plastic. They can be used to screw two similar or different materials together with one-sided access. Moreover, these screws are perfect for applications that need to be regularly maintained like heaters, AC units, and canopies. The screws can be placed and removed repeatedly along the original threads without losing the grip or holding power, which is something that other fasteners can’t provide.
Here are the various applications and benefits of using self-tapping screws:
Self-tapping screws are versatile fasteners that are widely used in a lot of applications. They are perfect for steel and wooden frames, wood decks, cement fiberboards, melamine, and many others. They are even used in scientific studies. If you’re uncertain about the right kind of self-tapping screws for your planned project, you may simply inquire from your local supplier to get the right type of self-tapping screws.
Self-tapping screws offer some truly awesome benefits that no other fastener can provide. Here are some of the perks of using self-tapping screws in your projects:
- Discreet. Some self-tapping screws have a flat-topped head that ensures a discreet appearance once fully drilled onto the material. This means that if you’re aiming for a clean finish, these screws are the perfect ones to use.
- Effortless installation. One of the reasons why self-tapping screws have become an absolute favorite among builders, artisans, and DIY enthusiasts is that they eliminate the need to do a pilot hole. By removing this first step, you can enjoy fast and effortless installation so your project can be finished quickly.
- Corrosion-resistant. There are special self-tapping screws that are coated with a solution that inhibits rust from forming. Such corrosion-resistant quality makes these screws perfect for metals likes frames as they won’t rust even when exposed to the elements.
- Outstanding hold. Self-tapping screws have under-head serrations that facilitate outstanding hold. The serrations likewise guarantee excellent slippage-protection during the installation phase.
- Excellent material penetration. For those who are looking for screws that have outstanding penetrative properties, self-tapping screws are ideal for them. These screws can be used to combine steel sheets of up to 1mm thickness so they are good for most metal fastening applications.
With these applications and benefits, you should use self-tapping screws in your future or current project. Just be sure to get them only from a reliable supplier near you, so you can ensure the quality.